How to Brew the Best Cup of Coffee
If you want a great cup of coffee in the morning you need to start with the right equipment. A good pour over with a reusable filter is best.
- Heat your water. Add a little extra to rinse out the carafe and filter.
- If using whole bean, grind to a uniform consistency.
- Pour a small amount of hot water in the filter to rinse out any residue. Discard the used water.
- Add 2 3/4 tbsp ground coffee for 8 oz mug.
- Heat water to between 195 and 205 degrees F.
- Pour just enough water to coat the grounds and let it sit.
- Slowly add the remaining water keeping the water in the filter half full. This should take 3-4 minutes.
If you prefer a simpler method while still retaining good flavor, get a French Press. Brew time for a French Press is around 4 minutes. Don't let the coffee sit in the carafe after that time. Your best bet is to only brew what you plan to drink but if you do make more, pour it into an extra mug or carafe for later.